Job Purpose: Na Ali’i is looking to hire a Data Scientist to support the DoD Chief Management Office (CMO) and the IT efficiencies and IT/Business Systems Reform initiative. You will analyze and develop data models and visualizations used to assess the viability and potential savings of proposed DoD-wide IT cost-saving initiatives across the BMA. Your analysis and findings will directly support finding efficiencies within the management and internal processes or the “Business-side of IT.” You will be responsible for the collection and interpretation of reporting requirements, design and development of internal and external communication using dashboards, reports, PowerPoint, and graphic output.
- Translating mission needs into an end-to-end analytical approach to achieve results.
- Performing the pre-analytics areas of data collection and understanding, data cleansing and integration, and data storage and retrieval.
- Determining the appropriate analytics based on the data and the desired outcomes, using techniques including feature detection, statistics, data mining, predictive modeling, machine learning, natural language processing, and business intelligence.
- Interpreting the validity of results and communicating the meaning of those results.
- Demonstrating data analysis and visualization with one or more leading COTS analytic and presentation solutions including Tableau, Qlik Sense, and MS Excel and other MS Office suite applications.
- Collaborating with team members and government clients to obtain a detailed understanding of data requirements necessary for the sampling, weighting, and analysis of data.
- Working with other analysts in the creation, cleaning, and recoding of datasets and sample frames for IT Reform Initiatives (e.g. IT Cost Model Analysis).
- Ensuring data and metadata integrity and compliance with required standards by performing data validation and cleansing.
- Identifying issues within data and determining the root cause of the problem to recommend and execute corrective action.
- Identifying and implementing process improvements in relation to data collection and processing for repeatability.
- Identifying, reviewing and evaluating data collection metrics. Recommending ways to strengthen data integrity, quality, and availability.
- Providing project management support and ensures completion of all final deliverables in a timely, accurate, and efficient fashion.
- Extensive experience with working in an environment involving diverse sets of legacy data, documents, and materials. Experience with data preparation.
- Familiarity with R based statistics. Knowledge of statistical analysis methods including linear regression and factor analysis.
- Experience with all lifecycle phases of a data-oriented business case development project including initial assessment, requirements, solution design, planning and implementation.
Skills/Qualifications: Excellent technical skills, organizational and planning skills, communication, and problem-solving skills, Problem analysis, attention to detail and accuracy, solid judgment and decision-making ability, takes initiative and is adaptable and customer service oriented. Qualified candidates should possess the following skill sets and experience:
- Three years of experience working with large datasets or databases. At least two of those years should be in a professional working environment.
- Experience supporting a Federal CIO Organization or Department.
- Strong quantitative ability and a keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency writing syntax and using statistics and data analysist tools such as SPSS or Stata, R, Tableau, Qlik Sense, or other leading BI platform (Cognos, Business Objects), R Statistical programming and methods, Oracle or MS SQL Integration required.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities with minimum direction and supervision.
- Effective written and oral communication skills leveraging the MS Office suite of applications – with a strong Excel background.
- Experience using algorithms related to machine learning or data analytics.
- Experience developing and testing models.
- Experience conducting model feasibility research and algorithm development for machine learning.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, especially SAFe.
- Experience working with the Atlassian tool suite (Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence)
- Experience working in the commercial AWS or government C2S computing environments
Education and Experience: This position requires a Bachelor’s degree or higher in statistics, mathematics, social science, or an equivalent related field. A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience is required. Experience working in or directly for the DoD is preferred.
Clearance Requirements: This position requires an active SECRET security clearance.